At Summit Materials we strive to be stewards of our environment and promote sustainable business practices throughout all aspects of our business.
We know that minimizing our environmental “footprint” when producing aggregates, asphalt, concrete and cement, or installing pavement, can generate long-term, sustainable business practices that benefit our customers, neighbors, the communities we work in, and Summit Materials.
- Monitoring and controlling plant emissions to meet or exceed standards.
- Development of strategic facility locations to reduce transport, fuel use, and road wear.
- Minimization of water use and runoff, to protect local water quality
- The use of recycled fuel oil in our asphalt plant burners
- Promoting increased use of “Warm Mix” asphalt that reduces energy consumption and reduces emissions.
- Promoting increased use of recycled asphalt products (“RAP”), in new mix designs.
- The use of fly ash in some redi mix concrete products, which would otherwise be land filled.
- Development of site-specific post-mining reclamation plans at our aggregate facilities that fit the surrounding properties. Examples include, industrial, commercial, and residential and community development, agricultural production, and wildlife conservation, habitat creation and restoration.
- As cement manufacturers our Continental Cement Corporation is one of only two facilities in the county that is authorized to burn industrial waste materials that are otherwise difficult to dispose of.
We know that every step we can take to reduce our energy costs and emissions at every level of aggregate, asphalt, redi mixed concrete, and cement production benefits us and our society as a whole.
These are just some of the paths we take as we strive to perfect our environmental stewardship on behalf of our operating companies, our employees, our customers and our neighbors. They are also the tenets of the foundation for a sustainable business model, and our company’s success. We invite our customers and business associates to join us on this journey as well.